Monday, May 12, 2014

And So We Begin

For a number of years I have longed to take a train through England and visit some of the cathedral towns. Now I will.

It is not a unique travel idea but one that sits well with me. I am fascinated by the majesty of those centuries-old Gothic masterpieces. I saw my share of them a few years ago in the countries of the Northern Mediterranean, and for some reason I can't get enough of them. Perhaps now I will.


So the plan is quite simple: fly to London, get on a train and go. The original plan was concocted 20 years ago but other travels took precedence and now is the time to experience it. I planned to go solo but one daughter wanted to go, then the other and I am delighted to have them journey with me. I have traveled with both extensively but the three of us have never taken off together. Sort of a 21st Century Mod Squad. "One brown, one blond, one old."

We'll see Canterbury, Lincoln, York, Liverpool, Hereford, Gloucester and London. If any of you are semi-experts (which I certainly am not) you will note that Liverpool does not have a Gothic cathedral. Indeed, it has a couple "modern" cathedrals but it also has a couple other claims to fame which this child of the 60's must explore and besides for over 50 years I have wanted to take a ferry 'cross the Mersey in the same way that I experienced "some exotic booze in a bar in far Bombay." You'll have to dig out your Sinatra and Gerry Marsden references to decipher that last sentence.

Suffice it to say, it is not 24/7, wall-to-wall cathedral wanderings, but it is pretty close. A few years ago, when I was in Italy, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a couple cathedrals, I spent a lot of time just drifting in and out of those marvelous structures. Makaila was very patient, and I think she "got it" because if I wanted to explore the corners of a cathedral, she would come right along and if not, she enjoyed sitting in those cavernous Houses of God. Soak it in. "Be-bop" traveling she calls it.

Laura was as curious about the ancient relics of India as I and when I wanted to see the sacred bone of the left hand of this or that saint which was enshrined in some church on the coast, she was all for it. We experienced Saint Thomas' finger-bone and Buddha's tooth. Makaila and I saw the beard of Mohammad and the house of Mary (both in Turkey...go figure.)

All of which means...."the journey is the goal"....which has been my mantra for 40 years.


London holds a special fascination with its cathedrals. I hope to see as many Christopher Wren cathedrals as possible. The great London fire of 1666 destroyed about 80% of the city. Far too crowded and far too many wood and thatch dwellings made for great fire-kindling and few deaths. So the fire that began in a bakery ended up redesigning the city and the great architect Christopher Wren drew up the master plan which still defines the city today. Not sure if he factored in the number of Starbucks and curry houses which populate the city today but I am ready to walk to the dome of St. Paul's and hear Evensong in any number of catherals.

I'll try to give my official seal of approval to Wren's great master plan so that he can rest easy there in the security of St.Paul's. Perhaps a chance to see a Gutenberg Bible, the Magna Carta, use a BritRail pass. Eat in an overpriced London restaurant, see the old city of York, the Mapa Mundi in Hereford, or is it Gloucester? I'd best figure that out by the time I arrive in those cities.

I'll blog daily and with the time difference, you should be able to see my diary each morning. Coffee and Bob's ramblings as he....rambles.

I begin a few days after Memorial Day.

Peace,  Bob

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read all about it! With my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete